Re: Tarong rail link

There was an article about it in the September ARHS "Sunshine Express"
(p155) which I got in the mail today.  The article mainly focuses on local
opposition to the line.

"TARONG RAILWAY OPPOSITION CONTINUES

Rail Action Group, representing landholders opposing the Brigalow to Tarong
rail line, through chairman Graham Wilson, maintained in the Chinchilla News
of 22 July that it would be a misuse of 'third party acquisition' powers if
the government gave the rail line significant infrastructure status.  The
group is(sic) questions the value of the line, the new mines and the effect
on existing mines, but their main objection is the environmental and
operational damage to their 85 farms.  If road haulage is substituted they
will probably get upgraded roads and minimal farm resumption.  The issue was
also reported in the 23 July Dalby Herald. "

>From what i've heard - which isn't a lot - this may be a proposal for a
single product, isolated mine-to-utility line, the like of which you see a
bit in the US. I could be wrong.

The "significant infrastucture" status is interesting.  Is this what
determines if a line is open for 3rd party access?  I seem to recall the
term being used in the commotion over 3rd party access of one of the WA iron
ore railways.

--
John McCandless
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn...