Re: Loco cab safety

I understand that in the USA some work has been done on the survivability of accidents in loco cabs. It is
probably impractical to design a cab that will withstand a head on collision between trains. However,
improvements can be made to framing, windows, and nose plating to reduce "scooping" of trackside material
and consequential filling of cabs in turnover derailments, for example. A more difficult design
consideration is the question of rapid egress from a cab. Is it necessary or even desirable?

In my opinion, there is no need for seat belts or air bags. I do not believe that they would serve any
useful purpose. More work could be done on cab ergonomics to ensure that the loco engineers have working
conditions, and a range of aids, that minimise the probability of accidents.

Bill