Re: [QLD] The last SX tin sets

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 11:09:31 +1000, Rob Kearey
<r.kearey@mailbox.uq.edu.au> wrote:

>Dean Stalker wrote:
>
>> Latest rumour about the removal of the majority of the SX sets is that they
>> are a health risk.
>
>I /told/ them it was a mistake to stuff the seats with asbestos fibre.
>
>> Due to the combination of Queenslands climate and the SX
>> sets lack of air conditioning, it can increase the air/environment
>> temperature to unacceptable levels which is a problem in peak hour with the
>> number of people on the train and also they are very grimy.
>
>Astonishing news! We must invent a time machine and inform travellers in
>the 1960's that they are travelling in UNSAFE conditions!
>
>I think it's probably just a potential PR thing - "Each and every
>CityTrain is fully air-conditioned for your travelling pleasure".
>Mayhaps Vince O'Rourke wants to blow metaphorical raspberrys at the
>southron states some more.

When were the SX sets introduced into service? 1961? 1962? They're
approaching their 40th year of service now, and are probably getting a
bit long in the tooth (yes, I know, the Evans coaches remained in
regular service from 1913 through to the early 1980s, but they'd long
since passed their "use-by" date by the time they were retired) for
regular passenger use. The early EMUs in Brisbane are 20 years old,
and are already getting a refurbishment.

>> Some of the sets
>> still have signs of their steam-train hauled era with the staining on their
>> rooves but also inside the carriages
>
>I doubt that such staining is caused by steam locomotives - I'd suggest
>it's more probably a sign of their use in a pre-Non-smoking era.

The staining on the rooves is more likely from 30-40 years being towed
behind smoky diesels.

>If the roofing is fibreglass or plastic, they might be discolouring all
>by themselves as they lose plasticiser or somesuch.

>> and also the vinyl seats weren't the
>> best choice. The seats get sweat upon which encourages bacteria to grow,
>> while the cloth seats don't have that problem so much (I guess it depends on
>> the train).

>But, of course, you can just wipe down the vinyl seats with Domestos and
>all is well. I doubt the fabric seats in the more modern sets get
>washed, but I could be wrong.

Actually, the fabric seats in the electrics get pretty bloody grotty,
and they tend to retain peoples' sweat. The most practical seating
material would probably be the light cane that used to be used on
trams - if it's light enough and carved in the right way, it's very
comfortable. And it doesn't get sweaty or slippery nor does it ever
start to smell.

Unfortunately, I doubt if it would be acceptable to the travelling
public now.

Roy Wilke