Re: [QLD] The last SX tin sets

Dean Stalker wrote:

> Latest rumour about the removal of the majority of the SX sets is that they
> are a health risk.

I /told/ them it was a mistake to stuff the seats with asbestos fibre.

> Due to the combination of Queenslands climate and the SX
> sets lack of air conditioning, it can increase the air/environment
> temperature to unacceptable levels which is a problem in peak hour with the
> number of people on the train and also they are very grimy.

Astonishing news! We must invent a time machine and inform travellers in
the 1960's that they are travelling in UNSAFE conditions!

I think it's probably just a potential PR thing - "Each and every
CityTrain is fully air-conditioned for your travelling pleasure".
Mayhaps Vince O'Rourke wants to blow metaphorical raspberrys at the
southron states some more.

> Some of the sets
> still have signs of their steam-train hauled era with the staining on their
> rooves but also inside the carriages

I doubt that such staining is caused by steam locomotives - I'd suggest
it's more probably a sign of their use in a pre-Non-smoking era.

If the roofing is fibreglass or plastic, they might be discolouring all
by themselves as they lose plasticiser or somesuch.

> and also the vinyl seats weren't the
> best choice. The seats get sweat upon which encourages bacteria to grow,
> while the cloth seats don't have that problem so much (I guess it depends on
> the train).

But, of course, you can just wipe down the vinyl seats with Domestos and
all is well. I doubt the fabric seats in the more modern sets get
washed, but I could be wrong.

--
Robert Kearey                   Remote Access Group
ITS                             University of Queensland