Re: Train crash Freight Victoria at Ararat

Craig Haber <albatross@harnessnet.com.au> wrote in message
3841B079.9C6C0C6B@harnessnet.com.au">news:3841B079.9C6C0C6B@harnessnet.com.au...

<snip>
.  The two cabs which hit
> appear substantially complete - they have not climbed on each other, and a
crew
> in the cab would hence have a good chance of survival (we won't know till
later
> if the drivers were in the cab or perhaps headed for the engine room.  I
believe
> one had to be cut from the wreckage).  G518's east end cab is also badly
damaged
> by a wagon which has climbed and damaged the cab.

A semi serious suggestion...  as  the anti climbing strips did their job in
this instance, and the two cabs locked together, the collision was
theoretically "survivable" in the front cabs, probably more so than the rear
cabs with loaded wagons bearing down on them.  However the G forces from a
sudden stop even at 50kmh are considerable.  Makes you wonder whether, like
cars, loco cabs should have seatbelts and airbags?? ?

Regards,

Paul