Re: Train crash Freight Victoria at Ararat

G'day,

Lineman wrote:

> Yes its a very scary scenario,when you realise the points are laying for the
> occupied road and the load is pushing you on.Its also a bloody hard job
> getting off the side of a S,B,A,G type loco in a hurry,the jump would scare
> you to death.Do you ride it in and hope the crash protection actually works
> or jump into the unknown?

We got a fair look at the loco's from the up Overland in the wee hours of Monday
morning.  G517 on the southbound train, G518 on the northbound.  Rolling into
Ararat I could see a rail vehicle in the siding, and I'm thinking geez that
bullet is real messed up....we get close - it's G517!  The west end of the loco
has been demolished - the wagons have climbed and gone through the cab and
engine room, bending the outer carbody walls outwards.  The two cabs which hit
appear substantially complete - they have not climbed on each other, and a crew
in the cab would hence have a good chance of survival (we won't know till later
if the drivers were in the cab or perhaps headed for the engine room.  I believe
one had to be cut from the wreckage).  G518's east end cab is also badly damaged
by a wagon which has climbed and damaged the cab.

Regards,
Craig.
--
Craig Haber