Re: [Melbourne - trams] Location query

Mike Alexander wrote:

> All of Victoria Parade was relaid in ballast on concrete sleepers except for
> the shunt at Brunswick St, and the crossover at Punt Rd which are in mass
> concrete.
>
> Dandenong Rd was totally relaid from Hawthorn Rd to St Kilda Junction in
> ballast on concrete sleepers except for the Chapel St & Orrong Rd crossovers
> which are in mass concrete, and the small (previously ballasted) section
> between Hawthorn Rd & Glenferrie Rd which is totally in mass concrete now.

Thank you.

It must be quite a good fast ride now.

Last time I rode the Victoria Parade line (August 1997) the tracks had
fallen so far into the dirt (there was no sign left of ballast) that it
was a real rocky ride, even at the 10 kmh the trams appeared to be
limited to on that stretch.

Queens Way/Dandenong Road wasn't as bad but I was still surprised how
badly the Queensway track had deteriorated --- it was only constructed
in 1969 and was a good fast stretch of line then.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand

"Tsing siu sum che mun – please stand clear of the door."
-- Bilingual (Cantonese-English) announcement as the doors close on
trains of Hong Kong’s Mass Transit Railway.