Re: IP at Roto (was can NRs run to Griffith)

Mention of this sent me scurrying for my note books.
Due to washaways in the Parkes area on January 31 1971 the IP on which I was
travelling left Broken Hill on January 30 behind 4910 & 4911 (!) and headed
for Griffith via Roto.The track was as rough as guts as I can testify nearly
being thrown out of bed in the early hours of the AM.
4838 & 4842 took over at Griffith and as you can imagine this relatively new
train attracted great interest from the local punters, particularly at
Griffith and Narrandera.
We had a loco change at Narrandera with 4421 & 4401 both B end leading going
through to Sydney.
Nearly an hour was spent at Cootamundra watering cars by whatever hoses were
available. In true Alco style we made good progress to Sydney stopping only
at Goulburn (crew change) and Strathfield arriving at Central at 1850 giving
me just on an hour being heading back to Victoria on the S'nora on which I
had boring motive power being 42204/42216-S317.
I had spent 3 weeks travelling around NSW and have never seen so much rain!
Mind you it mean for interesting sights, 5920 on the North Coast
daylight,6009 on the Brisbane Limited. Who can forget 3246 on the Singleton
pass going so fast coal was flying off the tender. I could go on but I will
be way off the initial subject.

Regards

NMF