Re: Can NRs run to griffith?

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:27:16, Eddie Oliver <eoliver@efs.mq.edu.au>
wrote:

> (b) Someone asked why the connection had ever been built. There was a
> surprising amount of interconnecting freight traffic in bygone eras, and
> railmotors connected with the Silver City Comet at Roto.

Perhaps not a sufficient reason for it having been built, but it also
provided an alternative route when needed.

As one who grew up near the Temora - Griffith line, I recall it Silver
City Comet coming past enroute to Broken Hill via Roto when the line
was closed (flooded?) west of Parkes. As I recall the Indian Pacific
also used the Narranderra - Griffith - Roto route at the same time.

These days, of course, rail passengers just get shunted onto road
busses.

Regards,

Stephen