Can NRs run to griffith?

Ive been looking at an interesting idea related to the AP to Darwin line.
Its been obviously assumed that traffic from Darwin to Melb will obviously run
via Adelaide & the Adelaide Hills.
Ive long looked at the long closed line from Roto to griffith and wondered
a/ Why it was ever built in the first place and
b/ If it would ever be of any use.

You get some interesting statistics from the two routes.

Darwin to Melb via Adelaide is approx 3900 km and the max load for a single NR
is 1200 tonnes , (limited solely by the Western approach to the Adelaide
hills,which is unfixable.
Darwin to Melb via Roto is approx 4280 km and the max load for a single NR is
1750 tonnes, limited solely by the 1:40 short climb from Junee to Harefield
which is fixable , for around $7 M.

The differance is distance represents 9% of the total for which we get an
increase in load of around 30%.

Obviously this would require a relaying of Roto to Griffith.
Given the current very low train densities on the Broken Hill line , this sort
of proposal would increase its train density and thus lower the access charges
on a per train basis .

If we could get a std guage line from Narrandera to Seymour then this idea
becomes even more attractive.

Comments??

MD