Re: secret train tunnels !

"Ronald BESDANSKY" <ronbest@bigpond.com> wrote:

> I have heard that given as the reason why the original Circular Quay station
> had to be above ground. But when there was talk of replacing it with an
> underground station, the question of gradients didn't seem to arise. But I
> think they were talking about a new station under Sydney Cove.
>
> How about Wynyard ultra-low level?!!!!

It difficult to see how there could be any underground station near
the Quay.  The existing City Circle tunnels both run under ridge lines
on either side of the Tank Stream valley.  I can't see any underground
connection with workable adhesion gradients that could be constructed
between the Eastern and Western sides of the City Circle anywhere much
south of Bridge St (or in a pinch maybe Bent St.)

On the issue of the existing Quay arrangements, its certainly seems to
me that if the Cahill Expressway could be dispensed with, a new low
visual impact stressed concrete viaduct with railway station could
still be accommodated across the Quay, while "opening up" the Vista of
the City looking up Circular Quay from the harbour.  Its the height of
the roadway that creates the visual block and the need for the massive
construction for the whole existing structure.

For instance, compare the visual impact of the ESR elevated right of
way over Wooloomooloo to the existing Quay structure.  Materials
technology has improved significantly in the quarter of a century
since the ESR construction was done, so its reasonable to expect that
its possible to do better today in terms on minimising visual impact
than even the ESR.

Does any one remember the old pre-railway ferry wharves.... they had
enormously high arched canopies, easily as high as the existing
railway station!

Cheers,

Bill