Re: [QLD] The last SX tin sets

My understanding re the future of the QR loco hauled cars is that two sets
are to be retained as already mentioned, but that the bogies of the
remainder of the fleet are going under the Great South Pacific Express
fleet.  That train has developed a bit of a reputation as riding rough,
especially north of Rockhampton where the mainline is still in the process
of being rebuilt with heavier rail and concrete sleepers.  The current
bogies are off former steel bodied brakevans and whilst of a relatively
modern design do not have the secondary suspension features of dampeners and
other gear to give an ultra smooth ride.  As I understand it the ride is not
rough per se rather that it is harsh.

The quality of the track south of Rockhampton is of such a standard that it
doesn't cause a problem.

Interestingly the same bogies modified for standard gauge operations under
the same cars between Sydney and Brisbane have not drawn the same passenger
complaint.  To be fair my sources say that QR were onto the problem right
away!!!

--
Graeme Vellacott
PO Box 322