Re: memories

Gail BENNETT wrote in message <81ap76$466$1@news1.mpx.com.au>...
>Another enjoyable trip I once had was on The Sunlander (before it became
>somewhat luxurious).

<snippety-snip>

I did Bris-Townsville-MtIsa-Townsville-Cairns-Brisbane (side trip to
Normanton) by sunlander/inlander in 1970's, with family in tow, 2nd class
sleeper accommodation.

Problem #1: in those days 2nd class sleeper you provided bed linen. Being
southerners we did not count on how cold the QR would run the a/c, and
bedding inadequate. Shiver. Have you evere tried to buy a blanket in
Townsville in summer (which is what we tried to do preparatory to the
Inlander leg)? It was as hard as trying to buy a mango in Townsville.... not
for sale, everyone has their own personal mango glut in their yard. Ended up
buying long strips of flannel material at a sewing supply shop, and a few
apples.

Problem #2: On Inlander I recall it was a "mini" griddle car, half a car for
dining. So you had to time your run at getting a family of 3 fed together.
Food plain but OK, steak and chips sort of stuff. But when I ordered the 2nd
small bottle of red wine to go with it I found I had already drunk the
entire stock of red wine provisioned for the trip. There and back. And we
had not even done the westbound crossing of the divide yet! Would you like
to have sherry instead sir? <thinks: why can't these southerners drink XXXX
like real men? Beside which we have a huge supply of that>

Problem #3: My big mistake was to assume Bankcard worked all over Australia.
Not so back then, and we had only thought to provide authorities to withdraw
on bank accounts at Townsville. Which was ok if you hit Townsville on a
weekday, but yep Cairns to Townsville Sat and banks not open, spent all
money.

You say griddle car food was poor.... Sunday Townsville-Brisbane penniless
with 2 starving females in the  confined space of 2nd class sleeper, with
wafting scents from the griddle car.... A concerted search for cash in all
bags, clothes, nooks,crannies turned out enough for a pie for lunch. 1 pie,
3 people. A bit left over might do a few bikkies before we hit Brisbane
(10pm arrival I think). Harboured that small change. About 8pm I was
despatched to the griddle car to buy evening meal of bikkies. Sorry luv
griddle car closed, we are packing things up so we can get away when we
arrive. Returned as Mr Popular.

Arrived Brisbane. Bright lights, big city, bankcard signs! Into cab! off to
hotel! pay cab with cash from drawdown at hotel! book table at hotel
restaurant! Coral Trout! Chips! Salad! White wine! Ice cream! Mango! Retire
to bed with real blankets!

Sunlander before it got luxurious? Like banging head against wall... feels
good when it stops.