memories

Hi all

I've travelled a lot throughout Australia via rail and one of the most
enjoyable trips I had was from Toowoomba to Sydney via Wallangarra. I joined
one of those old QR non-aircon carriages which looked as though they were
once in a western movie. I was fascinated by those carriages. When the train
arrived in Wallangarra we had to change trains, and Wallangarra Station I
recall had a very unique lighting system. I dont think the lights were
electricity...I think they were gas...whatever they were, they were strange.
The train from Wallangarra to Sydney had about 5 passengers, until it got to
Werris Creek. We played cards with the lady in the TCS compartment, which
went and made us a huge amount of toast and some really nice soup....she
didnt charge us a cent. That was a really enjoyable trip.

The other memorable trip was on the old Ghan, to Alice, about 6 months after
Cyclone Tracey. I heard so many sad stories on that trip from families
returning back to Darwin.

Rail is definitely a civilised way to travel. A pitty more of our
politicians dont do it to realise the asset it is, but on the other hand,
are they civilised?

Gail