Re: Improvements on NE SG

Maurie said...
 The most striking thing about the new loops is the new ultra brite led
 signals at the down ends capable of showing R/R or G/R for the No 1 road
and
the reverse for the No 2 road ie , R/R or R/G.
 Interestingly also the home arrival searchlights have also been removed and
 replaced with similar types to the new departure sigs , except that the
upper
 head has 3 lenses, which is a bit odd, given that historically these
signals
 only ever displayed red or green for the upper head.
 Is Y/R now a valid aspect ?
Wondering why you presumed that the LED signals can't give a yellow
indication?
I have seen Tri-Colour LED's produce a very deliberate orange-yellow, which
is much easier to differentiate between red and yellow, than the existing
incandescent lights!
Also why does the Up Arrival Signal have to have a yellow lense fitted?
All of the original CTC Searchlite Signals werre fitted with standard heads,
Those that needed
Yellow indications, had them fitted, those that did not had two red lenses
fitted, and as the track section lifted the light would remain red for one
extra section ( watch this draw the experts)
AS a Train Driver, I don't need to ask the questions a lot of you do in this
group, I only need to read and obey. Many signals had yellow aspects on the
gauge since day 1. You could depart Allumatta on the down from 1 or 2 roads
on a yellow.
You could approach Mangalore on a yellow Auto, and other places I no longer
can remember.
As a Fireman in the early days, my thought used to be "damn another two
aspect signal, got to wait till he gets to so and so....my drift is that I
used to think that the majority showed yellow!
Rod
ps what indications does the LED signal at down end of Sunshine Platform
give?