Re: Improvements on NE SG

In article <8182jk$gg0$1@news1.mpx.com.au> "Rod" <comtrain@mpx.com.au> writes:
>From: "Rod" <comtrain@mpx.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Improvements on NE SG
>Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 17:16:38 +1100

>Maurie said...
> The most striking thing about the new loops is the new ultra brite led
> signals at the down ends capable of showing R/R or G/R for the No 1 road
>and
>the reverse for the No 2 road ie , R/R or R/G.
> Interestingly also the home arrival searchlights have also been removed and
> replaced with similar types to the new departure sigs , except that the
>upper
> head has 3 lenses, which is a bit odd, given that historically these
>signals
> only ever displayed red or green for the upper head.
> Is Y/R now a valid aspect ?
>Wondering why you presumed that the LED signals can't give a yellow
>indication?
>I have seen Tri-Colour LED's produce a very deliberate orange-yellow, which
>is much easier to differentiate between red and yellow, than the existing
>incandescent lights!
>Also why does the Up Arrival Signal have to have a yellow lense fitted?
>All of the original CTC Searchlite Signals werre fitted with standard heads,
>Those that needed
>Yellow indications, had them fitted, those that did not had two red lenses
>fitted, and as the track section lifted the light would remain red for one
>extra section ( watch this draw the experts)
>AS a Train Driver, I don't need to ask the questions a lot of you do in this
>group, I only need to read and obey. Many signals had yellow aspects on the
>gauge since day 1. You could depart Allumatta on the down from 1 or 2 roads
>on a yellow.
>You could approach Mangalore on a yellow Auto, and other places I no longer
>can remember.
>As a Fireman in the early days, my thought used to be "damn another two
>aspect signal, got to wait till he gets to so and so....my drift is that I
>used to think that the majority showed yellow!
>Rod
>ps what indications does the LED signal at down end of Sunshine Platform
>give?

Slight confusion in my original post.
I understand that Y/R is a legit aspect for the departure homes from some of
the SG loops, (Macintyre,Tullamarine and Wodonga can all display Y/R or R/Y )
plus the ones you also mentioned.
I was pretty sure though that the home arrivals can only show a R or a G from
the top head, you can never get a Y/R from a SG home arrival,so its a bit odd
that the new arrival sigs have 3 color lenses.
Have to watch a bit more often to see what the available aspects are.

MD