Re: [NSW]CityRail guessing games, 21 November

Graham Smith <dysonsmith@hunterlink.net.au> wrote in message
38378381@news.hunterlink.net.au">news:38378381@news.hunterlink.net.au...
> Newcastle district. He has often commented to me about the amount of risk
> management which now has to go into any project which requires an
occupation
> of the track.
>
> The result of this is that where a couple of decades ago, we would trains
> single line past trackwork, the new worksafe environment requires a
complete
> shutdown. The comment has been made to me that in the metrop area of
Sydney,
> this may require the closing of four tracks to allow work to be carried
out
> on one.
>
> While this may not completely explain the major shutdowns, I feel that it
> may be a significant element.

They also are forced to cater for residents living beside the railway line
and are unable to do a lot of the work at night due to noise complaints.

Whereas previously they could do the work at night with minimal disruption,
they now have to do it on weekends. Unfortunately, the residents who
purchased their houses at reduced prices or receive cheaper rentals BECAUSE
of the railway and the noise that goes with it are now preventing the
regular maintenance of that railway, and are causing disruption to thousands
of people in the process.

--
DaveProctor
thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au