Re: Daylight saving time

Chris Brownbill <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote in message
3833CA7E.41FCFF66@enternet.com.au">news:3833CA7E.41FCFF66@enternet.com.au...

> Dave Proctor wrote:
> >
> > Fred Morley <fredendi@idl.net.au> wrote in message
> > 942833598.250353@ns.idl.com.au">news:942833598.250353@ns.idl.com.au...
> > > We have daylight saving time ion the East coast of
Australia.NSW,Victoria.
> > > Nothing stops for changover times,in actual times the trains arrive 1
hour
> > > early one way and 1 hour late the other way,Oly confusing if you cross
the
> > > border north into Queensland from New South Wales.
> >
> > No - the changeover affects the whole country.
>
> Daylight saving operates only in some States - NSW, ACT, Vic, Tas and SA.
It
> does not operate in Qld, NT or WA.

But the changeover affects the whole country - the Indian Pacific that left
Adelaide on Friday 29 October, to arrive in Perth on Sunday 31 October,
would be affected.

The Brisbane XPT that left Sydney on Saturday 30 October to arrive in
Brisbane on Sunday 31 October would be affected.

So it affects the whole country.

> My only experience of this was some years ago on the Western Mail in NSW
(That
> shows how many years ago.  I travelled overnight from Sydney to Parkes in
a BAM
> sleeper.  When the booking was made the computer alerted the clerk to be
aware
> of the changeover to Daylight saving.  The effect was that I arrived one
hour
> late in Parkes.
>
> From this information, you should just about be able to calculate the
exact date
> on which I travelled - computer bookings and mail trains didn't co-exist
for too
> many years I'd say.

ABout 6 years, I believe - I remember catching one in the late 80's on a
computer booking, and then again in the early 90's.

--
DaveProctor
thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au