Re: Sydney Ticket Inspectors

Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> wrote:

> Joel Cooper <joel@abilitycorp.com.au> wrote in message
> B4597C50.ABB%joel@abilitycorp.com.au">news:B4597C50.ABB%joel@abilitycorp.com.au...
> > I heard an interesting theory that ticket inspectors on city rail trains
> > cannot physically touch you. Meaning that it would actually be quite hard
> > for them to detain a fare invader if they were asked for a ticket they
> > didn't have. Unless of course the next station wasn't for ages, then they
> > could organise police to be waiting at the platform. Can anyone verify if
> > this is true? Also would this mean that the ticket collectors couldn't do
> > anything about a fare invader actually at the exit to the station?
>
> As far as I know, that is the case. Touching you in those circumstances
> would be the same as an arrest (placing them in all sorts of legal
> difficulties) - if they tried to say it was not an arrest, the only other
> thing it could be is an assault (also leaving them in the faeces).
>
> --
> DaveProctor
> thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au

Saw an interesting scuffle when I was living in Hazelbrook and working
in Sydney one night a couple of years ago: people came through
inspecting tickets (these didn't look like your usual run-of-the-mill
ticket inspectors). They caught one unfortunate and hauled him off into
the seats at the end of the interurban. I was getting out at Hazelbrook
and he dashed past me, up the steps and down to the pedestrian crossing
lights on the highway, where the inspectors caught him and carted him
back to the station. They were definitely laying hands on him (and
outside railway property, too).

--
Dr A.P. Whichello                               Phone: +61 2 6268 8191
Electrical Engineering Image Coding Laboratory    Fax: +61 2 6268 8443

"I wish to God these calculations had been executed by Steam!" C.Babbage