[VIC] Sale-Hillside

This article was on  the front page of the Bairnsdale Advertiser today
(15/11/99).

TRAINS A STEP CLOSER
Trains are back on the rail line between Sale and Bairnsdale with Freight
Victoria this week confirming it is currently conducting trials on the line
between Sale and Hillside.
Freight Victoria chief executive, Mr Marinus Van Onselen, said a road
transferable locomotive and freight cars have been used to test the line,
particularly the Avo n River bridge a Stratford, where some remediation
works have been carried out.
"What we want to tell people is that the line is no longer dormant" he
said. When questioned on the possibility of a resumption of freight
services, Mr Van Onselen said "that is reliant on the requirements of any
customers". "we had discussions with potential customers and this interest
was sufficient enough for us to have a look at the line, We hope to have
the opportunity to open it in the future," he said. Members of the Save Our
Train Action Group (SOTAG) believe the fact that the rail line has been
trialed is the biggest step towards the re-establishment of the passenger
service to Bairnsdale since it was terminated. SOTAG president, Mr Alan
Cracknell, said representatives from his organisation held informal
discussions with those manning the transferable locomotive when it visited
Hillside during the rail trials. "We came away from these discussions
confident that a freight service from Hillside to Sale will be active in
the not too distant future. "While we believe the line at this stage has
been restricted to a speed of 40 Km/h, it is great news that it is being
used at all and there is a strong chance that at some stage it will be
upgraded to handle the regular 80 Km/h limit. "If this does occur for
freight services, the lighter tonnage of passenger services will be no
problem for the line", he said. Mr Cracknell said that there had been a
"wash away" on the line between Hillside and Bairnsdale and this would need
to be repaired before trains could again come right into town.
"However, repair of this situation is not major work," he said.
If a freight service is recommenced between Sale and Hillside, there is a
strong possibility, if demand arises, that the freight service be extended
to Bairnsdale.
If and when that situation ever arises, it would be in the interests of
Freight Victoria to also have the passenger service leased and operational
to gain as much income from the line as possible.
National Express has been appointed the new franchisee for passenger
services in Victoria and the re-establishment of the service to Bairnsdale
is reliant on that company's decision as to whether it is a viable
proposition or not.  A  feasibility study to determine this is to be
carried out by National Express.

Nicholas Hurley