Re: Melbourne frequencies

Daniel Bowen wrote:

> [snip]
>
> Frankenstein.. :)
>
> As far as I remember, 15 minute off-peak services were first introduced on
> the Glen Waverley line in the 70s, as a test to see if it would improve
> patronage. Not sure if the Ringwood services (and Alamein) were done at the
> same time or a bit later.
>
> Around 1990, they decided to try it with the Sandringham line, and patronage
> shot up. Around 1996-ish (?), Frankston and Dandenong were upgraded, and
> simultaneously all services through Burnley and Caulfield (but not
> Sandringham) got Sunday daytime trains upgraded from 40 to 30 minute
> frequencies.
>
> Then of course earlier this year, most Sunday afternoon services were
> improved to every 20 mins, along with Sunday arvo tram service upgrades.
>
> As for why 15 minute frequencies haven't hit the west and north... I dunno -
> you could theorise about the usual (perceived or actual) bias towards the
> eastern and southern suburbs I suppose.

Dear all,

It is interesting to read recent messages on Melbourne train frequencies.  It is
very well to say that you like to have a train serving your station, say every
10 minutes during off-peak time (who doesn't!), but you have to take the
following factors (possibly more that I haven't mentioned) into account:

1.  Train crew rostering and associated matters;

2.  Number of trains available;

3.  Running line restraint (ie. single line sections, junctions, etc.);

4.  Turnaround time at destination (ie. driver change ends at an outstation,
etc.);

5.  Train positions and requirements of peak hours services (ie. If the number
of sets in inner area is less than outer areas means a number of sets must get
into Flinders Street quickly in order to accommodate afternoon peak when
outbound demand is greater than inbound.  Keep in mind that stabling of trains
during daytime are distributed around Melbourne with a few stabling facilities
close to Flinders Street (ie. Layby Sidings, Melbourne Stabling Sidings, and
Racecourse, etc.))

6.  Stabling; and

7.  Economic aspects (ie. When does "waste" come into equation?)

Cheers,

I.C.

Iming Chan                                                ICQ# 53992879
Melbourne, Australia                         Email: ichan@primus.com.au
Disclaimer:
This message only contains opinion of the author above.   It  does  not
express the views, policies or opinions of organisations represented by
the author.