Re: NSW 4400 Class Engines

Just a general couple of comments, some of which have already been pointed
out.
It is 44 Class not 4400 Class as are the classification of all NSW locos for
example the 38 Class is not 3800 Class.
We all seem to get our knickers in a knot, sometimes over what seems to me
to be only a minor issue. Those of you who work in the railways and rail
enthusiasts of long standing know the answers to a lot of these questions
and treat them as "old hat" or with some disdain when the question is asked
by someone seeking that knowledge. A brief answer giving the reasons why
such an operation occurs is sufficient or otherwise ignore it unless it is a
provocative question where you want to get involved in a "full and frank
discussion".
Answering the questions properly, if you have the knowledge, can only
enlighten the rest of us poor fools and so enrich this great hobby of ours.
BTW I have seen many 44 Class with No.1 end leading in years gone by. If the
norm was to run No.2 end leading then surely tour trains must cater for that
facet too as I know some enthusiasts want to try to capture the spirit of
"normal" working even on special tour trains. Aesthetically of course No.1
end leading does look very nice!!

canetram59