Re: Melbourne Double deckers

Richard <richard_snook@primus.com.au> wrote in message
3820A7B7.3B556A1D@primus.com.au">news:3820A7B7.3B556A1D@primus.com.au...

> Seems to me ..that half the problem with baording/alighting during heavy
traffic
> is that many havent got seats and are in the way!! Whilst I agree that
there are
> fewere points of entry I feel that the Tangara like approach is better for
> orgainising people....especially as during peak most are getting on  and
> thanonly getting off at limited number of stations...there is no perfect
> solution...but the point of original post is I have seen no consideration
whats
> oever from either or any party  concerned to the "idea" of double
deckers...it
> seems dismissed out of hand...like its some "Melbourne" thing...youd think
with
> a brath of fresh air that all cards were on the table!!

Well, being from Sydney (where we have an exclusively DD fleet) I am a fan
of them.

I think *maybe* one of the problems in Melbourne is the seperation of
infrastructure from operations. A DD would not be able to operate system
wide without modifications to the infrastructure. It is fine for some lines
now, but not for all lines.

I think the operators would like to be able to operate their rolling stock
as and where required.

BUT unlike the old days, the operators and the track owners are no longer
one and the same. So they have to negotiate to have it done, and then pay to
have it done.

I think they MUST have looked at it (all good management looks at all of the
options) but then decided it was all too hard.

--
DaveProctor
thadocta AT dingoblue.net.au