Re: Stawell to Grampians - and Halls Gap?

Phil Carter <carterp@deakin.edu.au> wrote in message
> A couple of c.1930's maps of Victoria I've seen recently both show a
> branch off the Stawell to Grampians tramway that heads south to Halls
> Gap.
>
> Has anyone heard of such a line?
>
> Phil.

There was a railway line (it wasn't a tramway) from Stawell towards Halls
Gap. It actually ran to the quarry at Heatherline were sandstone for most of
Melbournes main buildings was quarried. There was an intermediate siding but
I can't remember its name.
About 2 mile of the line was used as a long siding at Stawell during the
80's to cross long trains before Deep Leed and Great Western Loops were
installed.

--
Gavin Potter
e-mail

"Planning without action is futile. Action without planning
is fatal."  -Alan Speigel.