Re: Stawell to Grampians - and Halls Gap?

"Gavin Potter" <gavpot@ozemail.com.au> wrote in aus.rail:

>There was a railway line (it wasn't a tramway) from Stawell towards Halls
>Gap. It actually ran to the quarry at Heatherline were sandstone for most of
>Melbournes main buildings was quarried. There was an intermediate siding but
>I can't remember its name.
>About 2 mile of the line was used as a long siding at Stawell during the
>80's to cross long trains before Deep Leed and Great Western Loops were
>installed.

The 1936 General Appendix gives detailed instructions regarding
running trains on the line.

It was necessary at that time to give notice to the Ganger-in-charge
of 7 day for a pass and 3 days for a goods before running a train on
the line.

Trucks were permitted to be left standing on the branch line, the
signalman at Stawell "B" Box to be informed in writing of the number
of vehicles and the mileage location of where they were standing.

Two sidings were mentioned; Fyan's Creek which I think was the end of
the line, and Stawell Pressed Brick Co.'s siding, half a mile on the
down side of Stawell station.

The line was no more than 17 miles long at that time.

Les Brown