Re: VR Staff & Ticket and Pilot Working

Eddie Oliver wrote:

> There was only one NSW case of short and long section electric staff in
> NSW in relatively recent times, i.e. Nooroo could theoretically be
> opened to split the section Monkerai - Stroud Road. Although the
> facility lasted until maybe the 1960s, I doubt that it was ever used
> after about the late 1940's. Can anyone confirm or deny this, and/or
> comment on other such instances in NSW?

RTT please?

> We did of course use divisible electric staff (in our sense of that
> term) in many places, sometimes with an intermediate block post and
> sometimes just with time interval working. Am I right in thinking that
> what we call a divisible staff (i.e. an electric staff which can be
> physically split into "staff" and "ticket" portions) is a "composite
> staff" to Victorians?

Yes. What we referred to as Divided Staff was the means of converting an electric
staff section into two staff and ticket sections on a temporary basis.

> Another NSW oddity was the ability in at least two places to replace
> electric staff over several sections with ordinary train staff and
> ticket over the combined sections - i.e. the Belmont line where the
> electric staff sections Adamstown - Fernleigh Loop - Dudley Junction -
> Redhead could be amalgamated into a single staff-and-ticket section, and
> an instance on the Richmond line in the latter years
> pre-electrification.

Yes, Victoria did this in a number of places to save manning hours.
Some I can think of are:
Dandenong - Lang Lang.
Ouyen - Redcliffs.
North Geelong C - Warrenheip