Re: S317 Ownership

Forster Family Inc wrote in message
<7iol93$r9l$1@centipede.wantree.com.au>...

>Yuri J Sos/Melbourne <steam4me@enternet.com.au> wrote in message
>37543580.2796121@news.enternet.com.au">news:37543580.2796121@news.enternet.com.au...
>> But apart from these minor items, it's in good condition and ready to
>> roll, I suppose?
>> Sounds like it is in the same condition now as it was back in the 70s
when
>it used to regularly run the Snora- clapped out and always lost time to
>Albury. It always took a good pair of 44s to get us to Sydney on time.
>The return was always the same,on time at Albury and late into S St.There
>was no prizes for guessing what was on the pointy end - that b****y 317.
>I hope GNRS scrap it- good riddance.
>Rgds
>NMF

Bullshit! I Fired the thing many many times, on the Southern Aurora, SOP and
Goods trains, from
1974 to 1980 and drove it on some occasions from 1983 on
During this time I doubt it had a major exam, and only got rebuilt after the
Barnawartha accident.
I never heard of one time that the train was late because 317 was on it, in
fact it had a rather good speedo, that allowed some very 'spirited' makeup,
this side of the border. My memory of late running is nearly as selective as
yours. Broken down old polluters struggling in many days, 40 or more minutes
late!!
Rod ;o)
Wodonga was always a "proud " depot, and the old blokes prided themselves in
their good time keeping and their ability to keep an ailing engine on time.