Re: Good News for Rail Fuel taxes

>I sure hope that this is correct , and is the way things should be.
>There is however one less obvious effect of reduction in fuel price for
rail
>and that is the benefit of having a fleet of fuel efficient locomotives is
also
>reduced, so that a Company like NRC for example , will now feel more
>competivive pressure from a Company like ASR or even FV,who have older
>less fuel  efficient  locos , but which cost them less.
>Makes a very interesting comparison.
>Also means that locos like the Cs become more cost effective to operate.

Several years ago, the Gov. [Keating I think? ] introduced Fuel Excise on
Rail Companies , and V/Line immediately introduced Fuel saving measures.
1. Shut locos down if they will idle more than 2 hours at the Fuel Point, or
at Spencer St.
2. Check tonnage of train and run excess locos off line More fuel efficient
when pulling hard!
3. Buy  lower grade, dirty oil [bunker Fuel ?]

Did not have a lot of success, the dirty oil, polluted badly, and soon
increased pricing because of its new popularity killed off any advantage.
Locomotives failed a lot more often, with damaged engines [glazing], flat
batteries and plain old wear and tear increased because they were cold
started, and run at high revs before they had properly warmed up/ And I
guess many other problems, that maybe one of our fitters might elaborate on?
So all that has happened is that we have gone back a few years, now we do
need investment to enable these new players to do it right, and start
tearing back the tonnages off the road.
Marinus said that the Hume carries 95% of the Sydney Melbourne
Traffic....Thats a hell of a way to Go!!
Rod