Re: Good News for Rail Fuel taxes

After my original post I checked in the Australian Newspaper and (the
wording is a bit obtuse) it appears that rail's excise is set at zero as the
rail industry hoped. If this is so then rail will in fact not be paying the
road user charge they have been unfairly charged with over the years. I
certainly hope so since with the original proposal (rail and road paying the
same excise) some road insustry exec's were whipping themselves into a
frenzy over taking NR's traffic.

I sent an email to my local MP pointing out the stupidity of the original
proposal in terms of road carnage, fuel use, road damage etc etc and while I
am not naive enough to think this made a difference (he did not reply -
yet), it certainly helped get the frustration of the feds continually almost
ignore the obvious advantage of rail while seemingly pander to the RTF's
every whim, off my chest!