Re: MELBOURNE TRAMS - SAFETY ZONES

Ron BEST wrote:
> Has there been any move to do away with tram stops without safety zones?

Nope. There's still hundreds of stops without them.

> Could a chunk be taken out of the pavement to allow the traffic lanes to
> swing around a safety zone?

Yep. That's the case in some locations, especially where there's already
well-used street parking along that section of the street. But this
generally isn't done at stops at intersections.

> What about having traffic lights actuated by an approaching tram, when some
> one has pulled the cord to alight or when the driver sees people waiting and
> pushes a button?

You mean to change against the tram? Hmmm.. interesting idea. Would be
good at Elsternwick stn where often in the evening there's loads of tram
passengers getting off the train and having to dodge the traffic to get
to the tram stop if there's a tram coming.

> There was a proposal to fit video cameras to trams to catch errant drivers -
> did this happen?

Haven't seen any trams fitted with it, but I seem to remember seeing a
tram driver take down a licence plate number once.

For my own "revenge on the car driver who didn't stop" story, see
http://www.toxiccustard.com/diary/1998/12.html#1

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Custard Communications Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia

Send a stupid e-card! http://www.toxiccustard.com/cards/