Re: THE GHAN

"< Tell >" wrote:

> How true, but it was a unique trip.

A very pleasant if somewhat slow trip.

> The term Fast Mixed was not a reference to track speed,
> but sectional times.

I always understood that "Fast Mixed" implied that the train did not shunt at most
stations whereas the "Slow Mixed" did, with speed having little to do with it. I
travelled on the northbound Slow Mixed on a Friday late pm ex Port Augusta
expecting a slow journey with a Monday pm arrival in Alice Springs. The sg portion
was on time and the ng train departed Marree on time but we did not shunt anywhere
much and arrived the Alice 8 hrs early. Nonetheless the motel staff were still
prepared for my arrival. I often wonder whether they phoned the station to see how
the train was running as they knew I was arriving on a Monday by train and The
Ghan did not arrive until Wednesday.

David.