Re: Whats it like in Melb?

Hi,

>> > Are the trains safe day or night?
>>
>> Day, certainly. Night... perhaps a little intimidating, but generally
>> safe.
>
>Is anyone able to say why the trains are "intimidating" at night?

Depends what line youre on, I find the Broadmeadows and Hurstbridge lines
pretty tame at most times anyway, but the intimidation is more due to the
undesireable types that use the public transport system. Those not really
like your drunk party person, but more the druggos and people who boast to
their friends who are also with them about things like "ooh i got him good
i did, i put him in hospital".

Even on my own, at most times because there are plenty of people within the
carriage(s) i find the night trains to be safe. Particularly, i find the
best on most occasions is the second last and last trains which i catch
frequently due to after-work gunzelling (i finish work at 9pm).

Once again it looks like a media beat up to obtain yet another story so
they can make their money. Unfortunately with stories like that trains are
totally unsafe to use and to avoid them at all costs are derogatory and
only giving public transport a bad name, hence moving people away from it.

For one thing, my parents are totally shitscared when I catch a train at
night, because the way the media portrays it is a dark dingy dungeon like
environment where youre surrounded by freaks and murderers. Maybe that is
an exaggeration, but it does make one wonder at times...

>It's a good few years now since I have been on a night train in
>Melbourne, as on my frequent visits "home" I have usually used the trams
>at night and always found them safe.

Ironically when we had the nightlink trams 18 months ago i found them to be
rather intimidating to be on. Main reason being was that they were not
highly patronised, and you find yourself often sitting only among a group
of drunk/rowdy people and the poor driver just trying to do his job. In
this case security guards / rent-a-cops / etc would have been a good idea.

A side note, Flinders Street station would be a bad place to be on a
weekend night, at least being on platform 4+5 anyway, because this platform
is shared with some of the lines that lead to the absolute bottom of
Melbourne's dregs. In particularly i am thinking the Werribee line and less
so, the St Albans line. Often you see people who could be considered
violent standing on platform 4+5.

Regards,
Michael.