Re: Whats it like in Melb?

David McLoughlin wrote:
> Daniel Bowen wrote:
> > Luke S wrote:
> > > Are the trains safe day or night?
> >
> > Day, certainly. Night... perhaps a little intimidating, but generally
> > safe.
>
> Is anyone able to say why the trains are "intimidating" at night?

I think in general they're safe (a few incidents, rare enough to make
news) but some people, especially women travelling alone, might find the
rowdy youngsters and the occasional drunk intimidating.

Remember, it's the perception, not the reality, which puts people off
using the system after dark.

> It's a good few years now since I have been on a night train in
> Melbourne, as on my frequent visits "home" I have usually used the trams
> at night and always found them safe.

I've never had problems, though the withdrawal of conductors probably
hasn't helped their image.

> Are there muggers on the trains at night, or just the drunks and other
> unpleasant types who used to be on them when I was a kid living in Box
> Hill in the 1970s?

The latter. Heck, they're on the daytime trains too!

With the bulk of trains after 8pm only having one carriage available,
you're packed in their will everyone else. It might occasionally be less
than pleasant, but it's pretty safe.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Custard Communications Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia

Send a stupid e-card! http://www.toxiccustard.com/cards/