Re: guard/driver training (was: "Olympic Sprint Platform - Lidcombe")

Mr Simpson wrote in message <373ECB43.124F040D@mail.usyd.edu.au>...

>two to five cameras which means two to five monitors at the leading end of
the train for the
>driver,for EACH platform?! Thats hardly going to happen. How much would
this cost to install?
>How much to
>maintain? how long before they stop bothering maintaining them and thus
become useless? How
>long will
>they last on many sydney stations with respect to graffitti and other
vandalism (see thread
>on "sydney having
>most ferocious vandals")?

The monitors in Melbourne have a roller shutter covering them, and they
raise as a train ebters the platform, and lower again as a train is
leaving - there is no vandalism problem with the monitors (although some of
the shutters have some graffitist paint on them!)

>Also to consider: with only one staff member on a train, what happens if an
attack is
>attempted, as many attacks to guards have been mentioned on this ng and in
the media (David
>Johnson, your cue)?

If the driver is on his (or her) own, I imagine the door to their
compartment would be well and truely locked.

>For that matter, If any other situation develops, having available staff to
assist and/or
>contact authorities or
>other help being halved, does this affect the train operator's (CityRail's)
ability to
>effectively deal with a
>situation and avert potentially major disruptions?

CityRail have two security guards on each and every train after 7pm (or so
the publicity releases say - my 7.02pm Blue Mountains train tonight did not
see a single patrol between Sydney Central and Penrith - a 50 minute
journey - and I was in the back carriage!)

DaveP