Re: TransAdalaide

In article <373c03ae.76209@news.iinet.net.au> cliffd@opera.iinet.net.au (Douglas CLIFFORD) writes:
>From: cliffd@opera.iinet.net.au (Douglas CLIFFORD)
>Subject: TransAdalaide
>Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 11:15:51 GMT

>I read somewhere the other day that of all the metropolitan rail
>systems, Adelaide was the only system to suffer a decline in
>patronage.  I wonder if there is any connection between the fact that
>Adelaide is the only urban/suburban rail system to be non-electrified
>has anything to do with this?  Perth commuter rail was in terminal
>decline until the system was electrified; now it does not have enough
>stock to carry commuters in comfort, particularly on the Northern
>Suburbs Line in peak hour, even with the addition of recently aquired
>new EMU stock.  Any thoughts on this?

>Doug
>Douglas CLIFFORD                   +61 8 9390 7006 h
>PO Box 119                         +61 8 9324 6444 w
>Kelmscott                          +61 8 9324 6400 fx
>Western Australia         <cliffd@opera.iinet.net.au>
>6991

I doubt whether the fact that the trains are diesel has much at all to do with
it.
Its more likely related to the degree of services provided, ie timetabling ,
where the lines actually run , what effort has been put into building new or
extending new lines into newly populated areas.
A good example is the singling of the belair line which has effectively cut
the service frequency since the days of double track , and other related
issues like the removal of commuter services to Bridgewater account of the
SG .
Was the extension to Noarlunga centre the last Rail improvement in the STA ?

MD