Re: On the subject of roundhouses...Junee anyone?

On Mon, 10 May 1999 07:35:20 GMT, keithm@commslab.gov.au (Keith
Malcolm) wrote:

>In article <373574AE.1A39CF7D@mira.net.AAAA> Reuben Farrelly <reuben@mira.net.AAAA> writes:
>>From: Reuben Farrelly <reuben@mira.net.AAAA>
>>Subject: On the subject of roundhouses...Junee anyone?
>>Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 21:42:38 +1000
>
>>Does anyone know of or have any information on the roundhouse at Junee?
>>I've always been fascinated by it, and got a glimpse of it last weekend
>>on a night XPT back from Sydney (well I saw the shadow, anyway ;))
>
>>I'm interested to know:
>
>>* Who owns it
Good question!   It was owned by the State Rail Authority, which had
entered into a leasehold arrangement with Austrac.   This included a
sublease of approximately half of the premises plus most of the admin.
buildings, to the Regional Heritage Transport Association - Junee,
Inc.

>>* Is it still used or is it just a junkyard/train cemetery
One could say that it is an operational facility.   It is the home
base for Austra, where its locomotives are based, serviced and
overhauled.   As mentioned above, part is also used by the RHTA, for
museum purposes.   Their collection includes 4403 & 4807, on loan from
State Rail.   Other privately owned rolling stofk is stored there,
including a number of former Southern Aurora vehicles.

>>* Does anyone live there?  (Did anyone live there?  What buildings are
>>still in existence?)
No one officially lives on site, apart from (possibly) an Austrac
caretaker.

>>* What powers the turntable motion?
Electricity.

>>* Is there any chance of being allowed to gunzel it out during daylight
>>or is it off limits?
I suggest that you contact the RHTA on (02) 6924.3239 phone or (02)
6924 5221 fax for an update on visitation times (believed to be  1430
on Tuesdays & Thursdays, and 1030 & 1430 on Saturdays, Sundays &
public holidays.

>>* What is still there?  (At least one C class I think...presunably other
>>locos as well?)
>
>>It looked impressive in the half light.  Enough to make me want to go
>>back to look closer sometime :)
>
>Go out and buy Byways of Steam 13

It would also seem that you need to purchase the RAILFAN'S HANDBOOK,
New South Wales - $12.95 from the ARHS Sales Section at Redfern and
other selected railfan outlets.

Hunslet.