Re: Tours Cancelled

Its an unusual set up that Preservation Groups are in these days considering
that in the real world many small companies seem to get swallowed up by a
bigger Co. who then get swallowed up them selves.I think this is called
"market forces".
Perhaps in the light of declining patronage, a limited supply of volunteer
labour,rising costs for track etc. etc. it may be an idea for all groups to
get together{a sort of summit} and nut out what resources they have and
reduce duplication and promote greater sharing of every thing.
I think its pretty dis heartening to see rapidly deteriorating rolling stock
which you just know is not going to be restored in the for seeable future,
yet there may be another group that could be doing the job.
Are we prepared to sit on our hands and watch the market slip away, because
group A does not want to have any thing to do with group C.?
How about a state working rail transport museum consortium, based for
example at Nyora?.Land is fairly cheap plenty of room for expansion,track
and bridges have at one time been able to handle R,B,X classes and much of
the track and infrastructure is near mainline standard.
e.g.Bus tours to Philip Island from Nyora after steam train arrives from
Melbourne with diesel service home after bus arrives back from Island.using
best rolling stock, IM sure this one would make money, you just have to
count the coaches going down the Sth. Gippy. Hyw. of an evening.
I could envisage J,E,D3,and other classes working trains between Nyora and
Leongatha in a set up similar to P.B.P.S.,catering for most fans needs and
wants both travelling and working.
I am sure the Government would bestow its pleasure on this situation by
forking out  serious tax payer funded grants to maintain the line to Nyora
from Cranbourne,there for allowing tours to tap the Sth east market unlike
the a.f.l., and trains could be run all over the state.
Parochialism  will never get bums on seats you have to market and package
your products to suit changing situations and appeal to as many customers as
possible.
Cheers
Graeme
zXm_2.29509$MB3.44342@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:zXm_2.29509$MB3.44342@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...