Re: Safeworking the safe way

Eddie Oliver wrote:

> How have those escaped being train-ordered? Is it because they abut ASW
> territory and someone doesn't want to run a risk that there is
> confusion?

They were still staff and ticket in train order days and I have never heard why they
remained so. Someone might have a good explanation. I don't think it has anything to
do with abutting Section Authority Working (SAW).

> > Now also Traralgon - Sale from 6 April 1999. 8412 up ran on TO and 8407 ran on
> > staff.
>
> Why go back from train orders to staff and ticket? Is that progress? Or
> is it a case of wanting to avoid an isolated train order area far
> removed from others worked by the same system??

Yuri answers it pretty well. The eventual plan is probably to relocate the control
responsibility into the country and become multi-skilled positions. Rufus has
already explained the new term FOE - Freight Operations Employee. This person could
easily become the new train controllers if most of the work is handled by the
immediate stations e.g. Traralgon and Sale. Leaving the basic recording of event to
the FOE's or similar people in between their other work. After all the
Station-masters in NSW in some locations were also train controllers of some branch
lines radiating out from their area and they had other duties to perform also.

Now that begs a question Eddie. Can you put together a list of places in NSW where
the SM was the controller at some stage or another, and the lines he controlled.
IIRC Dubbo was one.

David Langley.