Re: Electric Staff in Victoria

David Langley <del@ancc.com.au> wrote in aus.rail:

>There was an interesting situation some years ago at Violet Town where they put
>in a closing lever without including the staff instruments in the circuit.
>There was nothing to prevent Benalla and Euroa sending opposing trains towards
>Violet Town with ALL the signals hanging off. Needless to say it was black
>banned before it was used the first time and the closing lever was only used
>after TO's had arrived, and then it was no use for all the pass because it
>closed for the non platform straight road.

You mean to say that railway management would have permitted an unsafe
working practice but for union opposition?

I have heard stories about this before, but I find it difficult to
believe that management would have permitted the possibility of a
"corn-field meet", without having their heads examined. I mean, in the
event of a serious accident, they would the first up on criminal
charges.

Could someone please explain this?

Les Brown