Re: Tours Cancelled

Thanks for the comments, even the rude ones! The headboard, well if you are
on the train how can you photograph it. We have been known to remove the
headboard but generally at photostops where it is difficult for the
motorcaders to get to! However I really defy anyone to believe that tours do
not book because of a headboard! The brochures, I fully agree they are really
crap! I have said that to the Secretary on more than one occaision, I have
produced both a sample of a new format and actually did the brochure for one
tour in the new format. Too many tours, well Steamrail publishes it's
programme about a year ahead. We space the tours, (Deniliquin was supposed to
complement the Echucal tour) and hope that the programme is varied enough. We
are always open to sensible suggestions but with so few lines left it is
difficult to find new places and new attractions. Seating 8 to a compartment?
The booking officer only does this if the train is full, would you prefer to
be turned away? Or if a group wishes to sit together. You may be thinking of
the BASS booking days when the computer just filled up all the seats! Tours
too expensive. Blame the Government for that. The crew costs have risen 20%
this year with Privatisation! Steamrail are not making any money running
trains with the current fares and actually need to increase them! Personally
I think the only way for mainline steam to survive is for government
intervention along the lines of PBR or similar. And anyone thinking that
private operators will save the day...well if Steamrail can't make money with
a large volunteer input how will the private operators suceed?

*The above are my private views, I'am not a Director of Steamrail Victoria
Inc. (I resigned inprotest last week). Thanks for the comments everyone, I
think we do need to debate this and preservation generally before the crisis
really hits!