Re: David LAngleys age (was Re: Second rate Melbourne stations)

Michael Walker wrote:

> >Yes, I'm older than you.
> >
> How much? Of course, given it is impolite to ask such a question, give us a
> vague idea from the following:
> Do you remember orange Comengs? (early 80s)

Yes

> Orange tea cup B class? (late 70s, early 80s)

Yes

> Introduction of C class?

Yes

> Withdrawal of steam?

Yes

> Introduction of diesels?

Yes

> Somewhere in between...(anyone add their own).

Yes

> Whilst half tongue in cheek, it would be interesting without being too
> precise for those who prefer not to give too much away to see roughly the
> ages of those in the group, similar to the recent 'what size computer do you
> have' thread from not too long ago. To make it more interesting, it could be
> measured in terms of significant local railway events.
>
> In case anyone is interested (making huge assumption), it could be said I am
> older than all the Hitachi trains in Melbourne.

I'm older than all of the W7 and half of the W6 trams. That should give you a
good idea. Incidently I don't care if anyone knows how old I am because I like
the idea of being able to direct questions to the right people for an answer
based perhaps on personal observation. However, it doesn't stop anyone being
involved in railway research, provided they record it correctly and understand
it, to be able to answer any historical questions.

What is sometimes irritating is that there are replies on the ng that seem to
come from people I have never heard and I wonder what sort of railway research
and recording they are doing. Unfortunately replies to the ng that says
something like - sometime in the early '80's or I remember it to be around 78/79
- whilst sounding like an answer to be helpful sometimes do more harm than good.

If a correct answer is not forthcoming it may be because the person best
equipped to give it is not reading the ng, or if it is answered correctly. you
cannot be sure that  the right people will digest it. (pun not intended).

I certainly do not claim to "know it all", my records will reveal many gaps in
knowledge and it is ng's like this that will aid all railway researchers. But I
have been interested in railways for as long as I can remember and in railway
research from early years in high school having met Jack McLean - I went to
school with his late son Stephen. My particular interest is railway signalling
and its place in the scheme of things.

David Langley.