Re: Roundhouse at Valley Hts

On Tue, 04 May 1999 12:13:53 GMT, jdennis@acslink.net.au (John Dennis)
wrote:

>>> What's the proper term for the Valley Heights loco facility. Does
>>> roundhoues describe loco stalls arranged in a circle fashion around a
>>> turntable or does it in fact mean a "round" house i.e. right round the
>>> turntable. If that is so, what is the proper description for Valley
>>> Heights.
>>
>>> AIU Seymour and Junee were/are proper round houses. Now I'm not sure
>>> what to call Bendigo where the turntable is inside the rectangular shed.
>>
>>Your first statement is what I would call a "roundhouse". To my
>>knowledge,
>>there were very few wholly circular roundhouses in the world.
>>AFAIK, the VR loco sheds were never called roundhouses, even though most
>>of
>>the larger ones had the turntable in the middle with radiating roads.
>>North Melbourne, I believe, had 2 tunrtables inside it.
>
>I tend to agree that the Victorian loco sheds tended not to be called
>roundhouses.
>
>I thought North Melbourne had three turntables, but I could well be
>mistaken.  Ballarat had two inside the shed.
>
>JD

>John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
>Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
>Australia                   Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
>DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html

North Melbourne definitely had three - they are clearly shown on track
and drainage diagrams of that era.  Also my Dad worked there as a loco
cleaner (later qualified to fire) in the 50s and I remeber him telling
me about the three turntables - the one furthest away from Spencer St
was used for locos undergoing heavy repair at that time.

Cheers,
David A. | Woodend, Victoria, Australia - Remove spamblock to reply