Re: Roundhouse at Valley Hts

David<mercury@nospam.netcon.net.au> wrote in aus.rail:

>North Melbourne definitely had three - they are clearly shown on track
>and drainage diagrams of that era.  Also my Dad worked there as a loco
>cleaner (later qualified to fire) in the 50s and I remeber him telling
>me about the three turntables - the one furthest away from Spencer St
>was used for locos undergoing heavy repair at that time.

Certainly it had three. I walked through the shed on 20th January,
1965, the day demolition of the shed was started by K188. A2 884 was
just ouside the shed being used as a stationary boiler. I have fond
memories of going past the North Melbourne Loco and spotting mainly
R's on the way to the Showgrounds.

I've still got a souvenir brick from the wall complete with soot lying
around somewhere.

Les Brown