Re: Loco-hauled passenger trains in Western Australia

Damian Clement wrote in message <7fsf9n$hvr$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...
>Can anyone tell me if there are any loco-hauled passenger trains in
Westrail
>territory apart from the Indian Pacific? If so what traction is used?

The other responses in this thread really have failed to take on board the
new order in railways. There are fully professionally certified operators
running loco-hauled passenger trains in WA every week.

The main operator is Hotham Valley Railway (HVR), who have frequent (an
average of over 1 per week) excursion train operations on a wide variety of
routes. On Wednesdays in school hols, as well as each weekend, there are
runs from/through Pinjarra to Dwellingup. And there is the "Etmilyn Tramway"
on the lightest stretch of track of the former Pinjarra-Narrogin link.

HVR own or have access to a fleet of W class steam engines and G123. They
also host and have use of an XA, and a pot pourri of English Electric
traction, including C and ex-MRWA F and G classes. In years past, they used
the A class (Clyde-GM G12C) diesels a lot, but these have new homes in
Chile!

Their main coaching stock is a rake of vacuum-braked post-war carriages
sourced from SAS/SAR (South Africa).

Although there is a significant volunteer workforce, especially on-train,
the engineering side is increasingly a professional operation (as required
by the certification processes).

They should be regarded as every whit a serious operator of trains,
loco-hauled at that!

In addition, Pemberton Tramway is operating a V-class and ex-suburban
carriages on a run north from Pemberton towards the timber mill at Manjimup,
a stop now called Lyall IIRC.

The ARHS have an S-class in steam, but last I heard they lacked public
liability insurance so were unable to operate it unless a certified operated
leases their loco.

DW