Re: Cowra-Blayney line

Ben Staples wrote:

> David Bromage wrote in message ...
>
> **SNIP**
> >This was one of the few serious proposals. THe line is required to get NR
> >freights out of SYdney during the Olympics. Reopening Kandos to Gulgong
> >was brought forward a year for the same purpose.

Also would be useful for coal trains ex Baal Bone and Charbon to go
direct to Newcastle (with the obvious reversal!) rather than through
Sydney.

What locos do NR have that could run (Demondrille) - Cowra - Blayney as
the track is only up to 36 class standards at best. To take NR's and/or
81's there will need to be complete re railing - then there are the
bridges........

> It's about time the freight companies were not held to ransom by the Main
> North via Hornsby. The Kandos - Gulgong section will increase the
> flexibility of the network and allow serious work to be done on the
> Hornsby - Newcastle line without the problem of freighters rolling through
> your worksite every half hour.

Going via Mudgee will be VERY slow....there will be reversals at
Harden/Demnodrille and Lithgow for all trains, unless the obvious
triangles are installed. Given the lenght of time it has taken for the
Parkes triangle to be installed, I hold out little hope of a logical
outcome.

Then there is Gulgong to deal with........a third reversal.

Perhaps we need Locotrol (or other methods of achieving distributed
power) with engines at each end, that would solve the problem, save for
a long walk for the crew!!!

Tim
--
Timothy Arnot