Re: Scrapped Sparks

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Michael wrote:

> Take a look at one in real life, just behind North Williamstown station is a
> Comeng T car body that was placed out of service, where one M car got burnt
> out and scrapped (parts of it remain at Werribee station, in the underground
> ticket office area) and the other end as discussed recently ended up being a
> test car for the refurbishments. The T car is numbered 1186T and can be seen
> on the up side of North Williamstown station in the Newport Workshops area.
> I guess it's not scrapped, but i think it is the close you will get to in
> real life.

Sorry Michael,
The Werribee station job is 388M, damaged by an N class on the Pakenham
some years back now...
1186T was part the set with 671 & 672M, when 671M was burnt out at Gowrie
one night.  It now is at Ballarat (may be Bendigo) shops, AFAIK
cannabalised aftre being used for cab door lock trials.
672M is the car mentioned in the "Refurb Comeng" thread recently on this
ng.  It is stored in the old Newport Shops West Block paint shop, along
with 83M-1903T-93M which has corroded floors and was stored and
cannabalised before the Hitachi refurb. program began.  201M is also in
that shed, having suffered burnt wiring & resistance grids, and was stored
instead of repaired.  I belive 55M, 137M (ex71) and 137M (orginal), are
also in this shed, in various conditions.  One of them is a bare silver
shell on wheels.
Hitachi 353D was scrapped on the Pakenham line in 1980, check Newsrail's
from that year.

If you want to know about them, I suggest you look through Rail News
Victoria and Newsrail.  (You can read both at the State Library).  They
have photos and details of many of the scrappings.

Regarding the Harris cars mentioned below, does anyone have an exact
location?
Perhaps even a Melway ref would be better?

Thanks,

Gareth