Re: Goninan (was Gonninans) Sale

David & Jan Winter wrote in message <36f7a8af.0@news.highway1.com.au>...
>United is a road transport firm. GE would probably be willing to pay a
>control premium to protect its market interests. The only other would be
>EDI, to eliminate competition.
>
>GEC Alstom (not Alstrom) are the successors to English Electric and are the
>OTHER General Electric - would Goninan's keep their GE licence under that
>regime???? Real food for thought! Bombardier (also Belgium) took over
Alco's
>locomotive interests in North America, but that line has gone the way of
>dinosaurs (I 4 shadow 4 stroke 4 lorn-ness). I wonder who at SMH dreamed up
>that list? One thing's 4 sure, Alstom, Bombardier and GE all have excellent
>4 stroke credentials, and I don't recall too many DDAs in United's truck
>fleet.
>
>DW

The story in the AFR reports that it would be difficult for EDI to acquire
Goninan as they hold rival locomotive design licences. They believe the sale
would only achieve $75M to $80M even though Goninan's total assets were
listed at $163.8M at the end of June 98. It also reports that they have an
$890M order book, mainly maintenance and modernisation contracts. Their EBIT
dropped a third to $7.2M in the latest half.
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton