Driverless trains in Victoria

Here's a rumour from out of left field!

On Triple M's Buttscuttling this morning (a competition on the morning
breakfast show Timbo and Bedders where the winner is the one with the best
rumour), some guy got on and claimed that in 24 months we may see driverless
trains in Victoria. He said he knew because someone he knew was involved in
shifting some mainframes from Metrol (?) to Hallam where the trials were to
take place over the next 24 months after which time the mainframe would be
removed and a rollout of driverless trains take place (assuming the trial is
successful I presume - my comment not his).

Is this crap from someone who misinterpreted the move from Metrol to Burnley
for Federation Square work or is there some truth in this?

I had heard something a little while ago before privatisation got serious
after the GP strike but put it down to typical pollie talk - ie it was a
daydream that would never happen amidst lots of other crap about worlds best
practice railway (was about the time of intro of SPOT).