Re: ATP

David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>Darryl Georgee wrote:

>>   Thats about it, as prev mentioed we're up to Ver 16 of the ATP
>>  software BUT where without ATP a driver may wait till he's say 800
>>  metres before a slow curve or such to apply the train brake with the
>>  idiot box (ATP)  it will start beeping and flashing at you out at
>> about 1.5 KLMs' (dependent on train weight, speed etc) So IMHO trains
>> with ATP would take longer to go from A to B than those without it.
>> This assumes there are no faults which there are certailnly plenty of.
>>  I was looking at 3 lovely green signals the other week all in a row
>> however the idiot box saw one as red and put the brakes on including
>> the engine brake which is a sure fire way of getting flat wheels.
>> Also if you have a light train with a 2800 class DEL its possible for
>> the idiot box to register wheel slip, with once again the brakes
>> coming on. We then have to trip a CB and start the system up which
>> takes up tp 5 minutes. All these thingalso happen on passenger trains
>> too. I 'm waiting to see how the Great Southern Express is affected
>> :-)

>I went for a ride on the Inlander to Mt Isa last year.  For the first few hours of
>the trip, the train kept screeching to a halt regularly.  When I woke up the next
>morning to take some photos, the ATP box was open, and the tap was closed. I guess
>the drivers got jack of it. :-)

>--
>David Johnson
>CityRail Guard
>trainman@ozemail.com.au
>http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/

 The main purpose of ATP is IMHO to get rid of the second man from the
cab. However it is forced on us even when, as in going west (young
man) ther are 2 men on board. When there are/is 2 men and the ATP
gives trouble (which is most of the time) we usually get authorized to
cut it out. Which is wot probably happened on your trip.
Interestingly though the Department want to introduce DOO operations
in train order (DTC) territory where ATP will merely record what has
happened on the trip. How they justify this will be interesting
reading :-)