Re: ATP

Darryl Georgee wrote:

>   Thats about it, as prev mentioed we're up to Ver 16 of the ATP
>  software BUT where without ATP a driver may wait till he's say 800
>  metres before a slow curve or such to apply the train brake with the
>  idiot box (ATP)  it will start beeping and flashing at you out at
> about 1.5 KLMs' (dependent on train weight, speed etc) So IMHO trains
> with ATP would take longer to go from A to B than those without it.
> This assumes there are no faults which there are certailnly plenty of.
>  I was looking at 3 lovely green signals the other week all in a row
> however the idiot box saw one as red and put the brakes on including
> the engine brake which is a sure fire way of getting flat wheels.
> Also if you have a light train with a 2800 class DEL its possible for
> the idiot box to register wheel slip, with once again the brakes
> coming on. We then have to trip a CB and start the system up which
> takes up tp 5 minutes. All these thingalso happen on passenger trains
> too. I 'm waiting to see how the Great Southern Express is affected
> :-)

I went for a ride on the Inlander to Mt Isa last year.  For the first few hours of
the trip, the train kept screeching to a halt regularly.  When I woke up the next
morning to take some photos, the ATP box was open, and the tap was closed. I guess
the drivers got jack of it. :-)

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard